Employment and Procurement Information
This section has been created to convey information about job and business opportunities with the 14 MPOs in New York State. As with other pages on this site, we will do our very best to provide you with current information but we also encourage you to look at each agency’s website for their up-to-the-minute postings.
Elmira-Chemung Transportation Council, the Metropolitan Transportation Organization (MPO) for Elmira and Chemung County, is seeking a qualified GIS Transportation Analyst . This is a professional planning position involving the design, coordination, administration and execution of transportation planning, mapping and programming. The successful candidate will work both independently and in a team environment to accomplish long- and short-range planning goals, receiving supervision from the MPO Director and Deputy Director. This is an exciting time for the MPO as we commence a Long Range Transportation Plan process in 2018.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
The following are examples of typical work activities:
- Develop and maintain GIS data, create maps and databases in support of planning tasks contained in the Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP), Long Range Plan (LRP), Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), and other relevant documents;
- Prepare reports documenting technical, administrative and informational activities, data and graphics, and presentations;
- Perform general research on a range of topics including demographics and socioeconomic analysis, land use development, transportation regulations and energy planning;
- Collect, tabulate and analyze data for transit, highway, bicycle, pedestrian, parking and traffic safety projects, among others;
- Establish and maintain relationships with external agencies and organizations involved with transportation issues;
- Maintain Transportation model and software;
- Active involvement in NYSAMPO GIS working Group;
- Active in NYS GIS Association, and regional and local GIS groups;
- Coordinate the County/ECTC road assessment program;
- Work with NYSDOT Main Office and Regional Office on compiling data; and,
- Assist with administrative tasks such as billing, purchasing, correspondence and communication with the public.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
The position requires the following:
- Strong working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (ArcGIS), mapping and traffic modeling;
- Knowledge of current methods for collecting, analyzing and interpreting data and quantitative and qualitative methods of analysis;
- Familiarity with the principles and practices of transportation planning and the understanding of the relationship between transportation, land use, social, economic and environmental factors;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with co-workers and the public;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective internal and external working relationships;
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex problems with attention to detail; and,
- Availability to attend various trainings and meetings such as NYSGIS Geocon and local conferences.
Familiarity with Adobe suite and the aptitude for producing coherent, creative graphics is a plus.
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Master’s Degree in Transportation Planning, City or Regional Planning, Public Administration, Political Science, Engineering, Urban Studies or a related field and two (2) years of experience in the field of transportation planning and/or mapping, OR;
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Transportation Planning, City or Regional Planning, Public Administration, Political Science, Urban Planning, or a related field and three (3) years of experience in the field of transportation planning and/or mapping.
Certified GIS Professional (GISP) preferred, but not required.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send a resume in PDF format to Michael Perry, ECTC Deputy Director at email@example.com or 400 East Church Street, Elmira NY 14901.
 Temporary pending legislative approval.
Requests for Proposal
No RFPs currently open.