Employment and Procurement Information
This section has been created to convey information about job and business opportunities with the 14 MPOs in New York State. As with other pages on this site, we will do our very best to provide you with current information but we also encourage you to look at each agency’s website for their up-to-the-minute postings.
Request for Proposals
There are no advertised solicitations at this time.
Ithaca-Tompkins County Transportation Council – Transportation Analyst
Part-Time with full benefits package
The Ithaca-Tompkins County Transportation Council (ITCTC), the designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the Ithaca/Tompkins County area is searching for a Transportation Analyst. Ithaca is situated in the beautiful Finger Lakes region of New York State and offers a rich variety of natural, cultural and entertainment amenities that provide for an exceptional quality of life.
The Transportation Analyst is a mid-level position assisting in different projects critical to the operation of the MPO, including development of the UPWP, TIP and the Long-Range Transportation Plan. The Transportation Analyst will also perform general research and prepare reports documenting technical, administrative and information activities. The person hired will serve as staff to committees as required. The position requires a high degree of autonomy and independent judgement in the performance of work assignment.
The position requires knowledge of the principles and practices of transportation planning and public involvement procedures. The Transportation Analyst will actively interact with appointed/elected officials, other government officials and members of the public through participation in meetings, seminars and committees. Strong written, oral and inter-personal skills are required for this position. Experience working with MPOs is desirable. Analytic experience using databases, GIS or travel demand models is highly desirable.
Minimum requirements for the position are either a master’s degree in transportation planning, urban or regional planning, transportation or traffic engineering, or a related field; OR a bachelor’s degree with two years of relevant experience.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume, cover letter and completed Tompkins County employment application to the Tompkins County Department of Human Resources: 125 East Court Street, Ithaca, NY 14850. A more detailed job description and link to the Tompkins County application can be found at: https://www.tompkinscivilservice.org/civilservice/vacancies , scroll down to the Transportation Analyst title.
For any additional information please contact the Tompkins County Department of Human Resources – telephone: 607-274-5526. EOE/AA.
Syracuse Metropolitan Transportation Council – Summer 2019 Internship
The Syracuse Metropolitan Transportation Council is looking for interested applicants for a paid summer internship opportunity.
The internship is related to transportation planning and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) as well as related technologies (mapping, GPS, databases, etc.). This position may also have substantial field work and transportation data collection tasks such as vehicular traffic counts, pedestrian counts, or review and documentation of existing transportation or land use conditions.
Skills, training, or classroom instruction in GIS are highly desirable. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite is helpful. Other qualifications include: strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills, and the ability to work as part of a team. Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Access desired.
This internship pays approximately $15/hour (DOQ) for a maximum of 40 hours a week. Applicants should be aware that some data collection will take place in the early morning (6:00-9:00 a.m.) and late afternoon (4:00-6:00 p.m.) and interns will be expected to have a reasonable amount of flexibility with scheduling. Opportunities
to complete the required work within a “compressed” work week (i.e. 4 days per week) may exist.
The SMTC is flexible in terms of start and end date of the internship depending on the chosen candidate’s needs.
Interested applicants may send a resume to:
James D’Agostino, Director
Syracuse Metropolitan Transportation Council
126 North Salina St., Suite 100
Syracuse, New York 13202
Position open until filled.
Republic Airport – Airport Director
Republic Airport (KFRG) is a general aviation public-use airport located in East Farmingdale, New York. The Airport is owned by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) and is currently operated by an airport management company. In addition, capital projects at the Airport are managed under a separate capital management contract. The airport operations and capital management companies are supervised by an Airport Director employed directly by NYSDOT. NYSDOT is seeking the services of a qualified individual with airport management, marketing, and development experience to fulfill the responsibilities of the Airport Director. The successful incumbent will be responsible for representing New York State’s interest in any and all Airport management and business development activities at Republic. The official station for this position will be at Republic Airport. The Airport Director will report directly to the Assistant Commissioner for the Policy and Planning Division and will work cooperatively with NYSDOT’s Aviation Bureau in Albany, NY.
Job duties and minimum qualifications can be found at: https://statejobs.ny.gov/public/vacancyDetailsView.cfm?id=64911
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and a current resume no later than April 5, 2019, to:
NYS Department of Transportation
Lisa Snow, Director, Human Resources Management
Attn: Dawn Ferrier
50 Wolf Road, 1PL
Albany, NY 12232
Highland Planning – Senior Planner
Highland Planning is a growing community development consultancy that encourages teamwork, uses technology creatively, and aims to ever improve our professional planning practice. Our firm specialties are public outreach, market analysis, commercial district revitalization, and research management. We are seeking a full-time Senior Planner to manage up to nine research projects over the next two years. This position will also provide support to our public engagement projects. This is a professional position that requires effective facilitation skills, strong writing skills, and the ability to develop, build and maintain working relationships with oversight panel members from across the county, as well as other consultants, firm colleagues, clients, and the general public. We are a creative and collaborative team, and we are seeking someone who matches our firm culture. The firm’s key values are:
- Honor people
- Go to them
- Make it sparkle
Duties & Responsibilities
- Research and assemble panel of experts based on defined criteria
- Convene and facilitate panel meetings in Washington DC to define research scope of work, select a consultant, and review contractor work
- Coordinate contract development with selected consultants and client
- Organize teleconferences between topic panels and consultants
- Manage consultant level of effort, schedule and deliverables
- Review and comment on synthesis reports at different stages of development
- Arrange for final approval, publication, and dissemination of reports
- Coordinate and communicate with client to assure success of the research program
- Monitor project budgets and consultant contracts, and develop progress reports
- Cultivate relationships with new and existing clients and consultant partners
- Respond to requests for proposals and develop marketing materials
Skills & Qualifications
- Graduate degree in communications, urban planning, public policy, and/or business management or equivalent amount of education and experience
- Five to seven years of experience in a relevant planning sector, such as public relations, urban planning, or communications
- At least five years of experience with public engagement and meeting facilitation
- Excellent verbal communication skills and the ability to effectively deliver presentations to small and large groups
- Strong writing skills with ability to write at both a technical level and strategic level for program updates, consulting reports, PowerPoint presentations and funding applications
- Excellent project management skills with experience organizing and managing large committees, and developing project consulting scope of services, budget monitoring and progress reporting
- Exceptional client liaison skills, with ability to maintain regular and effective engagement with key stakeholders, clients, and prime consultant Project Managers
- Desire and ability to work independently in a self-directed environment, prioritizing workload to meet deadlines
- GIS, graphic design skills and knowledge of effective public outreach strategies using social media, electronic surveys and other web-based formats or applications are a plus
- Experience with transportation infrastructure, housing, and community development is a plus
- Willingness to travel
This position is open to all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Send cover letter, resume, and a writing sample that describes your public engagement philosophy to Tanya Zwahlen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify “Senior Planner Application” in email title. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.